|This image released by Columbia Pictures - Sony shows James Franco, left, and Seth Rogen in "The Interview."Ed Araquel/AP|
Sony Pictures Entertainment announced Tuesday a limited theatrical release of “The Interview” beginning Thursday, putting back into the theatres the comedy that prompted an international incident with North Korea and outrage over its cancelled release.
Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton said that Seth Rogen’s North Korea farce “will be in a number of theatres on Christmas Day.” He said Sony also is continuing its efforts to release the film on more platforms and in more theatres.
“We have never given up on releasing ‘The Interview,”’ Lynton said in a statement Tuesday. “While we hope this is only the first step of the film’s release, we are proud to make it available to the public and to have stood up to those who attempted to suppress free speech.”
Moviegoers celebrated the abrupt change in fortune for a film that appeared doomed. “The Interview” began popping up in the listings of independent theatres across the country Tuesday, from Atlanta to Los Angeles. The film stands to open in as many as a few hundred theatres.
One of the loudest critics of the film’s shelving – President Barack Obama – hailed Sony’s reversal.
“The president applauds Sony’s decision to authorize screenings of the film,” said Obama spokesman Eric Schultz. “As the president made clear, we are a country that believes in free speech, and the right of artistic expression. The decision made by Sony and participating theatres allows people to make their own choices about the film, and we welcome that outcome.”
Rogen, who stars in the film he co-directed with Evan Goldberg, made his first public comments in a surreal ordeal that began with hackers leaking Sony executives’ emails and culminated in an ongoing confrontation between the U.S. and North Korea. The FBI has said North Korea was “centrally involved” in the hacking attacks.
“The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn’t give up!” said Rogen on Twitter.
“VICTORY!!!!!!!” said James Franco, who co-stars in the film. “The PEOPLE and THE PRESIDENT have spoken.”
North Korea’s Internet was shut down in an apparent attack Monday, and continued to be roiled by intermittent outages Tuesday. That followed President Barack Obama’s vow of a response to what he called North Korea’s “cyber vandalism” of Sony. The White House and State Department have declined to say whether the U.S. government was responsible for North Korea’s outages.
After hackers last Wednesday threatened terrorist attacks against theatres showing the film, the nation’s major multiplex chains dropped “The Interview.” Sony soon thereafter cancelled the film’s release altogether and removed mention of it from its websites.
But that decision drew widespread criticism, including from Obama, who chastised Sony for what he deemed “a mistake” that went against American principles of free speech. George Clooney also led a chorus pressuring for the movie’s release and rallying against alleged corporate self-censorship.
Releasing “The Interview” could potentially cause a response from the hackers, who called themselves the Guardians of Peace. There have been none of the embarrassing data leaks of Sony emails since the movie’s release was delayed. In a message last week to the studio, the hackers said Sony’s data would be safe so long as the film was never distributed.
A limited release could potentially be followed by expansion into larger multiplex chains, a rollout that has been used in the past for controversial films including “Zero Dark Thirty.” The country’s top chains – Regal, AMC and Cinemark – didn’t immediate comment Tuesday.
Independent theatres had shown a stronger appetite to screen “The Interview.” Art House Convergence, which represents independent exhibitors, sent a letter Monday to Sony saying its theatres (comprising about 250 screens) wished to show the film.
In recent days, Sony has been trying to secure digital partners to help distribute “The Interview” either through streaming or video-on-demand. Such a multi-format release would be historic for Hollywood, whose studios have long protected the theatrical release window.
Sony did not immediately say how many theatres will show the film, but “The Interview” will open in far from the wide release originally planned in some 3,000 theatres.
Colby Cohen, 29, of Atlanta came to the Plaza Theatre shortly after 1 p.m. with a goal of buying 5 tickets for a Thursday showing. She said while she wanted to see the film in the first place, the circumstances “completely changes things.”
“I want to see it a lot more,” said Cohen. “I’m going to get to fight terrorism on Christmas Day now.”