|BlackBerry CEO John Chen appears at a news conference for the company's BlackBerry Classic in December in New York. BlackBerry shares jumped on Wednesday, after a report that Samsung has approached the Canadian company with a takeover offer. (Bebeto Matthews/Associated Press)|
BlackBerry is denying a report that Korean smartphone giant Samsung has approached it with a takeover offer, saying it "has not engaged in discussions with Samsung with respect to any possible offer to purchase BlackBerry."
A statement released Wednesday by Blackberry said the company doesn't comment on "rumours or speculation." Samsung has also denied the takeover report, multiple media outlets say.
Earlier in the day, a Reuters report said Samsung had approached the company with a takeover offer.
Shares in the company, which has been working to regain market share in a fast-changing industry, were up as much as 30 per cent in late trading on Wednesday following the report of a possible takeover offer.
BlackBerry shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange closed at $15.02, up $3.42 from the previous day's closing price.
The initial Reuters report cited a person familiar with the matter and documents saying Samsung could offer as much as $7.5 billion for the Waterloo, Ont., company, looking to gain access to its patent portfolio.