Showcasing beauty, news, resources, inspiration, entertainment, lifestyle and life stories across Canada and the world
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Business As Usual, Bill Cosby's Show Will Go On In Canada
Jesse Ferraras | Huff
Bill Cosby is still scheduled to perform three Canadian tour dates in January in the wake of a series of sexual assault allegations.
The comedian still has shows scheduled inKitchener (Jan. 7), London (Jan. 8) andHamilton, Ont. (Jan. 9) according to his website.
And contracts prevent each of the venues from pulling them, The Globe and Mail reported.
"The promoter would be the one to make that decision, whether or not the show happens or doesn't," Scott Warren, general manager of Hamilton Place, told the newspaper.
"At this point, the promoter has said the show will continue."
The City of Hamilton owns the venue, but its operation has been handed off to Philadelphia-based firm Global Spectrum, so the government has no control over what plays there, the Globe said.
Meanwhile, Kitchener's Centre in the Square said in a blog post that Cosby's appearance is a "rental show" and, like at Hamilton Place, it has to go on unless the promoter cancels it.
"While we may personally share concerns raised by the community, if The Centre forces a cancellation of this rental show it isn’t simply a situation of giving back the rent," it said.
The tour dates remain in place despite some shows being cancelled in Connecticut,Arizona and Las Vegas. The latter appearance was cancelled by mutual consent.
The London, Ont. show will not go on if Megan Walker can help it.
The executive director of the London Abused Women's Centre is trying to lead a boycott of Cosby's appearance at Budweiser Gardens on Jan. 8, in the hope that it will be cancelled altogether, CBC News reported.
"I think it's time this community stood up and said 'we're not going,'" she told the network. "Maybe that concert will have to be cancelled because of poor ticket sales."
She's being supported by newly elected city councillor Mo Salih, who has written Cosby directly asking him to reconsider the show.
Cosby has been accused of sexual assault by over a dozen women.
His lawyer Martin Singer released a statement last week saying, "It is long past time for this media vilification of Mr. Cosby to stop."
"These brand new claims about alleged decades-old events are becoming increasingly ridiculous, and it is completely illogical that so many people would have said nothing, done nothing, and made no reports to law enforcement or asserted civil claims if they thought they had been assaulted over a span of so many years," he said.